July 13, 2014

Assertive speaking


Assertive- Putting oneself's views confidently

Generally, I used to lower my pitch and speak in a shy way when ever I anticipate a block and hence, giving an impression of low self confidence to the listener as well as to myself in an intangible way. Resultant is a uncomfortable and unpleasant speech experience.

Also, most of my secondary behaviors do come due to this shy (pulling back or holding back) speech attempt.Here comes the role of assertive speaking.If at the moment of a block or a low confidence speech, instead of holding back or lowering my voice or shyness, I forcibly out-thrust the sound in an assertive way, I can speak with less struggle and in a confident way.

To take breath and speak assertively with loudness is one of the fundamental ingredient of Mcguire program (world renowned speech therapy program) as well.

Assertive speech means, speaking loudly in forward direction with confidence specially when you are anticipating or encountering a speech block.Initially, it may be a bit difficult to practice, but with continuous efforts and strong will power, it can be incorporated in our speech.


2 comments:

Satyendra said...

Deep and wise observations.. Keep at it Ashish..and thanks for sharing.

ABHISHEK said...

great job; and apt guide for others to try