August 27, 2011

Dont Back Out After You Corner Your Stammer

The one thing that I have observed about myself as a person who stammers is that whenever I have tried to make changes in my life and attitude about my stammering,my stammer has always increased manifold.It increases to such an altitude that I start to block even in comfortable situations and with relatively easy words.
And needless to say it  shatters my optimism and I again go back to square one in my comfort zone.The end result is that ultimately all the efforts I put in go in vain and my progress comes to a standstill.But now I realize that this is a basic nature of our body.Our body doesn't like change.For it,change means danger and our body never wants to be in danger as this would threaten its existence.So,whenever we try to take steps for improving our stutter,our body goes to its maximum capacity to prevent that change so we dont venture out in the danger zone and be confined to the comfort zone that our body loves.To do this it increases our stammer manifold to make our rational mind believe that whatever we are doing is only making the situation worse and sooner or later we return to our original ways.In my view,this is one of the reasons why a person's stutter increases after he/she attends a  stammering workshop.Those 3 days of change is too much for the body to take and it goes to its full length to resist that change and the only way it knows to do that is to make the person's stutter worse.So,what exactly should you do when this happens to you.NEVER LOSE HOPE.Don't give in to your stammering and continue your fight without thinking about the results.Do what needs to be done.Don't be afraid of the beast after you have cornered him.Another question you might ask is that "Exactly for how much time will this cornered beast continue to fight me ?????" I don't know the answer for sure, but if you dont give in to your fear and keep on fighting persistently,then that day is much near than you think.

6 comments:

Satyendra said...

The best piece so far- on "Oh- I must stop all this- my stammering is becoming worse.." problem.
As to how long this fight must go on- One may as well ask: How long do I need to keep brushing my teeth to keep oral bacteria under check? all my life? Cant I stop after one year?
On the other hand, you can turn this daily brushing into some kind of game- as a little child (I knew once) did- He turned it into a game, began enjoying it and never had "bad breath" or Caries..
So, a lot depends on attitude..
Dhruva- thanks for the great write up..

Ashish Agarwal said...

Lovely write up..

Reveals the true basic nature of all human beings (including we stammerers).

I would like to share a lovely saying - 'Journey is more exciting than the final destination'

Hence, we all stammerers must enjoy dealing with our stammering :-) results will come automatically

Er. Umesh said...

Very nice share Dhruva!!! Great write up. Now you seems like a stuttering expert. We have problem and if we start to think why and how, it start to shatter.

ASIT said...

absolutely true....it happens..dhruva u seem to be phd in stammering psychology...keep sharing and motivating us...

Anupinder Singh said...

nice share dhruv, god give all of us huge patience and power to fight....thanks

Shorn Jacob said...

yup. I have the same issue. Very Good you shared your thoughts , so that we all can know such a problem is there.

Hugs Mate.