August 18, 2011

A job is a job

I was looking for a part time in New Zealand to earn some extra finances as a university student. I had no idea what will be the reaction of Kiwis to the speech impediment.

I had filled an application form in a Retail chain and i was called for an interview. Till now, it is my first and only interview in NZ. I told in the beginning that i am a student and "i had a bloody stammer" and stuttered my way through the interview for their general questions.They told me they had a night fill vacancy and will refer me to the concerned manager.

Somedays later i got a missed call from a unknown number. I gave it a call back  and i got  "This is the warehouse,happy to help you"- a  fluent eager to help reply came from the other side. I again stuttered my way through - "I ..received.....a ..call ..from..this...number..".  After i conveyed the information, i got the Night fill manager in line and he asked me to come and meet him.

I was told i will be employed in the beginning on a casual basis for training.

I again told him about my "stammer". He said he is aware of it. He also said a general apology if any of  the team members tried to "finish my words for me" in my duration of the job.

I just got a part time job which no way interferes with my university timings and will let me earn some  "kiwi dollars".

Getting a job - always has a very emotional impact on me. I had tears inside me. But life has taught me not to show it outside.


shaunjacob1986@gmail.com
http://isstutter.blogspot.com/

9 comments:

Manimaran said...

Great shaun Jacob. This type of postings will give lot of motivation to the job seeker.

Vinay said...

It seems there is respect for stammerers in New Zealand. Good that u shared ur exp.

lalit said...

congrats shaun for job

Anupinder Singh said...

i m very happy to know that....congrats for new job budddy

Ashish Agarwal said...

Hey Shaun!!!

Well 1st of all, congratssssssss...

enjoy the night shift job hours.

believe me, some times it will be a thrilling experience :-)

God Bless you dear..

Er. Umesh said...

Great post Shaun!!!
I really enjoyed reading your writing skills. It will really motivate the stammers who are in seek of jobs.

abhishek said...

great shaun ur ideas is very motivational for me and other stammer who search the job. all the best.........

Shorn Jacob said...

I have made contact with speakeasy and McGuire groups here and is looking forward to attend the support groups. Both were cancelled for this month because of heavy snow fall. I am waiting... :-(

desertknight said...

Nice article Shaun. It does encouraged us. Wishing best to you in life. Keep it Up!!!