April 6, 2015

Beas Experience..

Vinayak has promptly put into practice what he had learned in the recent Comm WS and has shared his experience with us. Couple of things that leap out of his write up are: We should always try out new skills or techniques from the words on which you have never stammered- from the situations that have never been a problem for you. In other words, move from EASY to difficult words, situations etc. Secondly, in the process, sometimes you will lose all control and stammer even more just because you are trying to change an old habit based on decades of fear and "running away".. This is OK and only to be expected. This has to be used as an occasion to practice and strengthen your "acceptance muscle"- not to get disheartened.
I want to share my experience of a trip to beas where I used many times different techniques which I learnt in Herbertpur communication workshop.
First when I was travelling in Shatabdi train, that time I voluntary stammering did. That time face real terror to voluntary stammering doing. In SHG and workshops we openly and long time did stammering but that time very difficult to us to stretch the long stammering that time we think to stop early and complete our topic. In Shatabdi I tried voluntary stammering on “Kahan Pahuche”. In this line Kahan is the easy word but Pahuche is more easy word for me. But in voluntary stammering 2-3 times I start stammering in real. I used that lines around 3-4 times to different people but stammering continue for maximum 4-5 times in a syllable.

I reached in Beas in hostel there is a canteen (snack bar). Where I used voluntary stammering around 8-9 times where I am in queue and we have to order some items I did voluntary stammering in different lines like “Paani ki bottle”. In this line I did voluntary stammering on “ki” because that is the easiest word and I notice around 3-4 times I was doing a real stammering because sometimes, I was losing the control on my stammering.
Apart from that I did on “Doodh dena”. I did voluntary stammering on “dena”. When we are in queue there is a pressure of queue also and the other person (counter man), he is also in hurry to complete my order. I did voluntary stammering on “maggie dena”, “cold drink hogi”, “frooti dena”, “makhan dedo” etc.
Apart from that technique I also work one more techniques which we learnt in communication workshop that I will tell with the example of real time. I was facing problem to say a word that now I able to speak but that time I tried around 20 times but unable to speak I also try to use bouncing and prolongation but unable to speak.
That time I remember the word of sachin sir, if you face any problem to speak a word then you can add any alpahabet to that word to easily speak like my problem word was “Sarai” (where people stay for some time). That time I change the spelling and now new spelling was “Shrai” where I have some time to stop on that syllable according to that spelling.
First time I stammer for 1-2 times but able to speak and I not remember after that I have blocks on that time on that word again. I was doing conversation to my dad. That time I remember I changed the whole topic and changed our conversation to central “Shrai” word because I want to know how many time I do stammer on that word if I change the spelling. I wondered in “Sarai” I not able to speak even once that word in 20 trials and now in twenty times “Shrai” I do stammer only once (first time) and not after.
I also use that technique in “Gol Chakkar”(round about) I am facing problem around 5-6 times but not able to speak then I changed the word with “Gool Chakkar” and I not stammer but the pronunciation is changed too much but the listen understand and interpret the “Gool” with “Gol”.
To sum up now I want to say voluntary stammering is also a part of acceptance. When we do voluntary stammering there is lots of guts needed to start and when we start then we get lots of confidence and can apply in next interview.
And in last I want to say (what I learnt in communication workshop) “Haklao magar pyaar se” means no matter stammering is coming or not matter is you are smiling and you able to communicate your words to every persons

1 comment:

Mohit said...

Vinayak Sir, its very true that u need to experiment to evolve something new. Kudos !!