Magic for me is an illusion , an art of harmless deception , an art to be the “ Sutradhar ” of time and space and others perception of all the elements the magician puts together !!
In my last post I had promised to share few magic tricks which I practice to offset my stammering instances . I use many tricks and create my own stage and tools to strengthen myself ,and they have been effective to an large extent , but the same tricks may or may not be able to create similar illusions in the readers cases .
Ok lets start …with Trick One (More would follow in not so specific order )
On being asked your name in a group (Formal Meet) :
You should have done your background work already by coming early and initiating talks with others and telling them your name ,in fact you must have imprinted your name in their minds simply by being a genuinely interesting character and by doing so , you would have passed the codes and imaginary connection between you , your name and what you do..so that every time they see you , they can map you with your name and they can easily associate your personality with your name . Trick : Be an Onion (Read Below)
Believe me others brains are not as well stacked with intelligence and as many GB’s of RAM as yours is :) , so keep giving them continuous signals on both conscious and unconscious levels , keep stimulating their brains .
Remember your only warhead to pass info about your identity is your personality , because you cannot be offensive and drill your ID into their psyche , that would be rude :)
Be an Onion : Once while coming back listening to RD Burmans compositions in Raghav Sundar’s jeep from one of our weekend rock climbing sessions I asked him , “ how can you be a Mountaineer , A Para Glider , A rock Climber , Knowledgeable about music , a good golf and snooker player , a world traveler , a great cocktail maker , a fantastic conversationalist , an avid reader , Multi Lingual (Speaks French) , a blogger , be a good father , Husband , doing supremely well professionally and remaining an inspiration to many and play all these roles together and keep adding more angles to yourselves .
He paused for few seconds and said .. “ Joy.. I am like an Onion , I cease to be one , if I do not continue to add layers to myself ”
(Raghav Sundar -A friend , who has been a major inspiration in my life , and whom I look up to ,not just for his ever evolving multi layered personality , but his ability to remains humble and good despite his herculean achievements in life .)
So..Now..being an Onion :)..minus the pungent sulphuric gases :) is the key to having an engaging personality .
Now how would being an Onion actually help in this situations ?
a) You would feel good about yourselves and feel more equipped .
b) Your multi layers and their collective experiences would have subtly made you wiser over the time .
c) You would be able to engage and talk to others about multiple topics and would be able to identify with others experiences .
d) People would notice you for your extra achievements and personality layers.
e) Your layer might be someone’s else’s layer too , and that means a connection becomes easier and organic between two strangers.
f) The more connect you have it becomes more easier for the brain to relate a persons trait with his ID ,in this case your name.
Back to situation : On being asked your name in a group (Formal Meet)
· Normal : If you are feeling that you would be able to say your name smoothly..then go ahead…(The conversation with others have already put you at ease )
· Illusion 1 : Instead of saying your name : Wish everyone …this should buy you time and gain the momentum to say your name in the same flow .
· Illusion 2 : Wish everyone , say something witty ..may be about the gathering..the day..the venue..and just when you have got the flow..say your name..
· Illusion 3 : Stand up ..and impromptu ..start by naming others…” he is vikas…,,she is Dimple….and then when you get the flow..say your name..this should make people laugh..and make the atmosphere light..and then you get into the flow..and say your name..
· Illusion 4 : Tell your neighbor that your memory is failing you ..and he must tell your name instead..seems funny..but would buy you time to find your flow..
· And you can go on creating new ideas to work the time and space to work for you as tools.
To develop a perfect timing for humor to buy you time and flow is the trick..and you may devise n number of situations …be the illusionist..be the Onion-keep adding layers to your personality and most of all be the sutradhar !!!